Thursday, May 14, 2009

Skipping Breakfast

Growing up I was never overweight but my mom, who is a large bone woman, my sister and my brother was. Because I was skinny, my dad was always trying to make me eat, especially breakfast. I did not like eggs, sausage, biscuits, gravy, grits, etc. Because I was not allowed to get up from the table until I ate something I learned to cover my eggs, scrambled never fried, in black pepper so that I couldn't taste them. Somewhere around the age of 9, I realized my dad could not make me sit there all day because he had to go to work and I had to go to school. Finally, one morning I got up enough nerve to just sit there and refused to eat.....I won. I did not have to eat the eggs but my dad told my mom to find something that I would eat. I started eating rice with butter and sugar and other cereals. That worked for a while but then my mom had to get a job and we were responsible for getting our own breakfast, I was probably 12. That's when I started skipping breakfast. Today I still have a problem eating breakfast and I still do not like breakfast foods. However, in the past month I have been eating Special K cereal with strawberries and 2 % milk. I am finding A New Way to eat healthy and lose weight at the same time.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on making the decision to eat healthier! I'm like you with the smoking - on again, off again and it is a struggle for me. Sometimes I think I'll never quit entirely! Ugh!!!

    One simple suggestion for breakfast that you might even enjoy is to make a breakfast smoothie using a banana, any other kind of fruit [strawberries, blueberries, any kind of berry] maybe throw in some yogurt and either 2% milk or even plain or vanilla soy milk and blend until smooth! I just joined Curves a couple weeks ago and a little exercise goes a long way. I'm hoping to lose a bunch of weight and a breakfast smoothie will get your metabolism going and so does the exercise.

    So good luck with this new endeavor and I'll definitely check back every day to see how you are doing. God Bless and Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Elizabeth.

    I am sure you know that breakfast is said to be a very important meal. I use to skip breakfast just because I didn't want to take the time to eat. When I started eating it, I found I had more energy longer and could do more, therefore burning more calories etc.

    Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete